1. Georgia & Verdana : web standard
2. Helvetica (Bold) & Garamond : classic
3. Bodoni & Futura : fashion magazine
4. Franklin Gothic (Demi) & Baskerville
5. Caslon (Bold) & Univers (Light) : for display
6. Frutiger (Bold) & Minion : readibility
7. Minion (Bold) & Myriad
8. Gill Sans (Bold) & Garamond
9. Clarendon & Trade Gothic : clean
10. Avenir & Minion
Identify the top websites in your sector, and deconstruct their website’s logic.– Benjamin Descazal, Data Consultant for KBMG
Prosperous brands organize their websites and social media platforms on the advice and research of very expensive media agencies studies, advice, and data.
Reverse engineer their behavior and use it to your advantage. There’s nothing wrong with incorporating and adapting what the top websites are doing.
Make it tablet-y! No one wants a PC experience replicated exactly on a tablet.–
Is the enterprise user experience overhyped? via diginomica
This is why enterprise Web SaaS apps cannot deliver on a stellar and engaging mobile experience. They are pushing busy, text field oriented interfaces onto a smaller screen with very different navigational controls and user flows. This is a cognitive disconnect that causes users to abandon mobile apps in droves. It’s much better to start mobile first.
- Technology is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral.
- Invention is the mother of necessity.
- Technology comes in packages, big and small.
- Although technology might be a prime element in many public issues, nontechnical factors take precedence in technology-policy decisions.
- All history is relevant, but the history of technology is the most relevant.
- Technology is a very human activity - and so is the history of technology.
My fundie friend is discipling a high schooler who works in the kitchen with him and he is showing him how to find Mark Driscoll’s podcast.
At what point is it my Christian duty to intervene?
But I also want an option that’s testing ONLY. Some kids don’t show up for class not because they’re slackers, but because they’re obsessed with their work in the lab, or they have better things to read, or their teachers are awful — or they just cannot stand to be condescended to for one more minute. Let’s acknowledge that, just as some kids just crumble under test pressure, some kids cannot maintain the finely orchestrated, four-year-long social performance that is required to conform, make nice, and fulfill the arbitrary requirements of dozens of adult strangers, some of whom frankly should not be teaching, or who like to penalize students who challenge them.– Jen Dziura http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4921563 (via mollycrabapple)
If we read the practices of Christian worship, we would conclude that Christians are a people whose year doesn’t simply map onto the calendar of the dominant culture.– James K. A. Smith
Desiring the Kingdom (Cultural Liturgies): Worship, Worldview, and Cultural Formation
When one forgets the distinction between method and truth, one becomes foolishly prone to respond to any question that cannot be answered from the vantage of one’s particular methodological perch by dismissing it as nonsensical, or by issuing a promissory note guaranteeing a solution to the problem at some juncture in the remote future, or by simply distorting the question into one that looks like the kind one really can answer after all. Whenever modern scientific method is corrupted in this fashion the results are especially unfortunate. In such cases, an admirably severe discipline of interpretive and theoretical restraint has been transformed into its perfect and irrepressibly wanton opposite: what began as a principled refusal of metaphysical speculation, for the sake of specific empirical inquiries, has now been mistaken for a comprehensive knowledge of the metaphysical shape of reality; the art of humble questioning has been mistaken for the sure possession of ultimate conclusions.– David Bentley Hart, The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss (via apologeticsnstuff)
People who own their lives do not feel guilty when they make choices about where they are going.– Henry Cloud
Boundaries: When To Say Yes, How to Say No
(Via Travis Turner)
Coke had to take creativity in the widest sense back from the agencies. It couldn’t belong only to the hairy elites of agency creative departments.– Jonathan Mildenhall. Coca-Cola “5 Reasons Why Brands Are Cutting Out Agencies” (via peterspear)
At its most fundamental level, the market is a mechanism for matching.– Joel Polodny “Status Signals: A Sociological Study of Market Competition”
http://www.amazon.com/Status-Signals-Sociological-Market-Competition-ebook/dp/B004D29ZNY/ref=la_B001ITVR1S_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393784964&sr=1-1 (via peterspear)
To this day I do not know what they mean when they call dead bodies beautiful. The ugliest man alive is an angel of beauty compared with the loveliest of the dead.– C. S. Lewis
Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life
(Via Daniel Fernandez)
In a dictatorship, independent journalism by default becomes a form of activism, and the spread of information is essentially an act of agitation.– Hossam el-Hamalawy
The gospel as journalism in a world system that pervades all systems and circumstances.
Stormy Petrel has diversified into three different tumblrs.
- the t-rex commentary: where I sort through daily news, governmental items, and whatever else strikes my fancy.
- The Daily Brainstorm: strategy and business related topics.
- Church-Fu: articles, quotes, and issues dealing with the American church.
- My business site: Tribe Life, a community development project.
- and finally, tribefire is the tumblr related to community life.
- the twitter is troy_vanderhule.